Women in Washington D.C., San Francisco, and Boston Top New Measure of America Ranking of Womens Well-Being
Brooklyn, NY (PRWEB) April 27, 2012
Washington D.C., San Francisco, and Boston top the rankings of a new study released this week by Measure of America, Womens Well-Being: Ranking Americas Top 25 Metro Areas, while Houston, San Antonio, and Riverside-San Bernardino round out the bottom three metro areas. Womens Well-Being explores how women are faring using the American Human Development Index, which is comprised of official government data in health, education, and standard of living.
Countless studies focus on gender inequalitythe differences between women and menbut few examine the disparities between different groups of women, said Kristen Lewis, Co-Director, Measure of America. By studying differences between groups of women, across race and region, patterns begin to emerge that can inform policymaking discussions and highlight areas that require resources and attention from the public and private sectorsgovernment, philanthropy, and academia, added Sarah Burd-Sharps, Co-Director, Measure of America.
Women living in the top twenty-five metro areas account for one in every five Americans. Their well-being and access to opportunity is critical not just to them and their families but also to the prospects of the United States as a whole. Women in Washington D.C. earn the most money (median personal earnings: $ 37,700), and have the highest levels of education, with an American Human Development Index score of 6.80 (overall U.S. score: 5.03; overall U.S. womens score: 5.00), better than residents of Connecticut, the state with the highest overall levels of well-being. Women in San Francisco, with an American Human Development Index score of 6.72, have the highest life expectancy, 84.5 years. Conversely, in bottom-ranked Riverside-San Bernardino, with an American Human Development Index score of 4.54, one in five adult women never completed high school, and the typical female worker earns about $ 22,300 a year and can expect to live 81.7 years.
The study finds that women living in major metro areas are doing better than the typical American woman. However, not all urban and suburban women have the same choices and opportunities; the study shows how basic indicators in health, education, and income intersect with other important factors, among them race, ethnicity, age, the opportunities of the marketplace, and marital status, to form a more complete picture of the critical factors shaping womens well-being and access to opportunity.
AMONG THE KEY FINDINGS:
- A top-to-bottom ranking of Genesee County schools
- San Francisco Music Studio Records All Three 2011 Jazz Search West Winners
- San Francisco Bay Area Carnival Games Company, Fun Services Taking Reservations for 2012 Santa’s Secret Shop/Holiday Gift Shop Program
- San Francisco Bay Areas FK Restaurants & Hospitality to Launch Fast-Casual Asian Box in February 2012 With Slanted Door Alumna
- Bay Areas Kids Party Ideas Company, GameTruck San Jose, Rolls Out Educational Programs
Leave a comment
Follow Us On Facebook
- dyslexiax: Biography - Mahima http://t.co/vyfJUSOn #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: Link Learning Center Announces Simple, Structured Method to Help Anxiety, Depression, and O http://t.co/yJXTu0TX #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: NAPW Dallas, TX Local Chapter Held First-Ever Fashion Show & Expo at White Space http://t.co/cCurtHcX #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: Larry Benz Honored with Prestigious Physical Therapy Award http://t.co/jV4kLMRJ #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: Nursery Rhymes - Incy Vincy Spider http://t.co/YQ7iiff6 #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: euronews learning world - Learning from the word "go" http://t.co/LS8XAxiD #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: Church of Scientology Sponsors Red Ribbon Week Forum on Strategies to Reduce Drug Demand http://t.co/SHaoQmxU #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: ProcessWeaver Inc. Exhibited at the 26th International Air Cargo Forum & Exposition http://t.co/FVSG0dhA #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: Educational Philosophy http://t.co/S8Jl4Pcv #dyslexia #dyslexic
- dyslexiax: Eat to Win Attends Two Conferences in Attempt to Fight Childhood Obesity http://t.co/fsUxihsO #dyslexia #dyslexic